Notary Services

Our hours for notarial work are:
7am to 10pm weekdays and 9am to 5pm on weekends.

Call (03) 9989 0912

Our Notary Services

Notarisation of Documents

Notarisation of any document required to be sent overseas.
Price: $165.00

True Certification of Copy Documents

Passports, Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates etc.
Price: $165.00

Notarisation of Company and Trade Mark Documents

Various corporate and trade mark certificates for overseas applications.
Price: $420.00

Affidavits and Declarations

For court cases, estate matters and wills and probate matters overseas.
Price: $105.00

Official Government Documents

Notarisation of any document for an overseas government department

Other types of documents

To view our full list of documents please click here

Apostille and Legalisation from DFAT

We can advise you about the requirement for an Apostille or legalisation for a document and how to obtain this from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade [DFAT].

Embassies and Consulates

We can assist where acts require Embassy or Consular legalisation or certification.

Consent to Travel Documents

Drafting and Notarisation of Consent to Travel Document (for when a child is travelling without one or both parents).

Other types of documents

Foreign language and translation documents

Powers of Attorney, Proxies and Authorities

Conveyancing, Real property, Personal property, Lease and Mortgage instruments

Administrative documents

Certificates as to Australian law

Certificates as to foreign law

Ship’s protests

Bills of exchange

Trust documents

Who is a notary public?

A notary public, public notary or notary describes the same person, namely a public officer (in Victoria they have to be a practicing solicitor with at least 5 years’ experience as a partner of a law firm) appointed for life by a State or Territory Supreme Court. They have broad powers to witness documents, administer oaths, certify copies of documents and other administrative functions, usually for production overseas.

What is the difference between a notary public and a justice of the peace (JP)?

Unlike notaries, who in Victoria must be senior practicing lawyers, justices of the peace are a group of volunteers who are appointed by the Victorian Governor and trained by the Victorian Department of Justice and the Royal Victorian Association of Honorary Justices. JP’s are not lawyers and a person who is a JP cannot work as a lawyer.

The other key difference between justices of the peace and notaries is that justices of the peace are authorised to witness signatures and administer oaths only in Australia while a notary public is recognised in international jurisdictions.


Notary or JP, what’s the difference?

What does a notary public do?

Notaries perform a wide range of functions, including authenticating official, government and personal documents and information for use overseas; witnessing signatures of individuals to various documents and verifying their identity; witnessing signatures to statutory declarations, affidavits, powers of attorney, contracts and other documents for use both in Australia and internationally; witnessing documents and verifying status and transactions for companies, including certifying that a corporation is of good standing; certifying copy documents; preparing notes and bills of exchange; preparing ships’ protests and dealing with documents for land, property and deceased estates overseas.

A notary has to confirm the identity of a signatory by having them produce identity documents, such as driver’s licences and passport, and examining those identity documents. Notaries must also ensure that a person signing a document does not have any legal incapacity, such as a physical or mental illness, and that they understand the nature and the content of the documents that they are signing.

Legalisation of a notary’s signature and seal

In many cases a document which is to be sent to an overseas country will require the notary’s signature and seal to be ‘legalised’ (meaning certified as correct) by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Australia (DFAT). Once DFAT legalises the document (by endorsing the document with its own seal and certificate) the document may then need to be certified at the consulate or embassy of the foreign country to which the documents is to be sent. Once it is certified by the consulate or embassy, the document is then sent overseas.

A large number of countries are signatories to a convention (commonly known as the ‘Hague Apostille Convention’) that removes the requirement of certification by a consulate/embassy of a foreign country before the document can be sent overseas, and that only requires an ‘apostille’ from DFAT before the document can be sent to the foreign country. The apostille is a stamp and statement identifying the notary’s signature and is usually affixed to the back of the notary’s signed document.

Our notary can assist you with not just notarising your documents, but also explaining the legalisation/apostille process and assisting you with that process if required.

Please contact us for assistance with notary matters.

Contact Us For Notary Services